Nintendo DS 518.3k
Xbox 360 195.2k
1. Madden NFL 09 (EA, Xbox 360) – 1 million
2. Madden NFL 09 (EA, PS3) – 643k
3. Madden NFL 09 (EA, PS2) – 424.5k
4. Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) – 394.9k
5. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii) – 328.7k
6. Wii Play (Nintendo, Wii) – 200.2k
7. Soul Calibur IV (Namco, Xbox 360) – 174k
8. Too Human (Microsoft, Xbox 360) – 168.2k
9. Madden NFL 09 (EA, Wii) – 115.8k
10. Guitar Hero: On Tour (Activision, Nintendo DS) – 111.2k
Wii had a less overwhelming but still convincing victory for August over lackluster performances by the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. With 2.3 million units sold, Madden 09 was a strong performer and easily dominated the month (Wii version’s humiliation notwithstanding). What Nintendo lacked in third party power, though, they made up for in first party strength with Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Play all continuing their run. Too Human had a pretty lackluster launch all things considered.
With both Xbox 360 and PS3 receiving price cuts this month, it should make for an interesting NPD next month, albeit perhaps not interesting enough. The big game for September looks to be Star Wars Force Unleashed.